Why You Should Remove the Word “Diet” from Your Vocabulary
The alarm goes off on Monday, and that is the initiation of your new low carb, no starches, don’t even smell the cookies, anti-sugar diet.
You have all the best intentions in the world with a strict grocery list, and “the three best ways to avoid the carb-loaded snacks in the breakroom” article to help you successfully stay on your new diet.
Monday goes great, Tuesday is a little harder but by Friday you are chewing on your pencil to keep yourself from indulging in popcorn.
By the end of the weekend you have eaten enough carbohydrates for the next week, and then find yourself, once again, on your ultimate diet come Monday morning. If you have ever found yourself in this food situation, then you are a victim of “yo-yo dieting.” Is yo-yo dieting created from deprivation we make ourselves endure or is it simply because we label it as a “diet”?
Removing the word “diet” from your vocabulary is something to consider, and here is why.
It Leads to Yo-Yo Dieting
Yo-yo dieting starts when someone restricts calories one-way or another. This includes restricting carbohydrates, fat, bread, gluten, or meat, and the result is usually a few pounds or more lost. Then, because of the extreme calorie restriction, they eventually indulge in whatever it was that was missing from their life, and eat more than they would on a usual day (i.e. the moment you’ve emptied a bag of chips).
This binge typically leads to weight gain and unnecessary guilt.
It Decreases your Mental Health
The guilt from an unsuccessful diet puts an emotional drain on a person and decreases self-esteem. Then, because of the weight gain, they will put themselves back on a “diet”. The process is up and down with not only weight but also emotions. I have found more success with weight loss clients by avoiding “dieting”. Instead, create a lifestyle plan with a weight loss goal, and more importantly, a goal for a healthier lifestyle that promotes longevity and disease prevention. It also helps increase mental health by decreasing the emotional drain caused by being “on a diet”.
It is a Waste of Money
There are 100’s of different diet books and websites you can join. This isn’t surprising because diets don’t work in the long run– so our society creates another best “diet”. If diets worked, we would have a handful of them to meet people’s needs and be done with it. On top of an overwhelming amount of diet books, the authors are from a variety of backgrounds. Authors can vary from medical doctors to celebrities to a person who once tried juicing and created a diet based on their success.
The next time you pick up a diet book, ask yourself, “Is this something I can do forever?” If the answer is no, then I encourage you to put it back on the shelf and save your money. Cabbage soup diet is not forever. A healthy lifestyle is.
The real solution is to stop saying you are on a “diet”, and choose to lead a healthier lifestyle.
My philosophy for a healthy lifestyle is 80/20.
This means 80% of the time you eat healthy, exercise and make choices that will better your health. This includes a vegetable and fruit rich diet, any exercise that gets your heart rate up, and any activity that promotes a healthy mental state. The remaining 20% is for the happy hours, the birthday parties, the weekend outings or the Sunday night you feel like doing absolutely nothing. Letting our hair down a few times a week helps us to stay on track for the majority of it, which will lead to healthy results short term and long term.
In addition to a healthy eating and exercising on a regular basis, you can also add a few supplements, superfoods or multi-vitamins to help boost your overall wellness in a natural way.
Kelsey graduated with a Bachelor Degree in Dietetics and Public Health Nutrition and is currently working on her Master in Nutrition and Dietetics. Since becoming a registered dietitian, she works at a hospital providing medical nutrition therapy, teaches at Pure Barre, and dances for a professional cheerleading team in the NFL.